Monday, June 21, 2010

A Hike in the Franklin Mountains

This morning I awoke at 7am to the sound of Emma crying on my bed,
"We missed it! They already left!"
 I would have loved to sleep longer. I really would have, but it meant so much to her.
"No, we haven't missed it. We're supposed to meet at the pool at 7:30. Quick! Go get ready!"

 
We made it in plenty of time to join the rest of her summer swim team for a hike up the mountain at Mt. Franklin State Park. We covered ourselves in sunscreen. Emma put red Gatorade in a camelback. I put water and food enough for a week in my backpack plus a first aid kit in my backpack and we were off.


It was hot and it was hard. There were huge rocks on the trail, whether intentionally or from a rock slide, I don't know, but it made for very difficult walking. Had it just been dirt it wouldn't have been nearly as hard. I twisted my ankle a couple of times and Emma slid over a cactus and got spines in her behind, but other than that we were good. Emma saw a couple of large lizards and some scary looking bugs.  I was just glad we didn't see a tarantula.  On the way up the group stopped a couple of times for water breaks and once we reached the top we stayed and ate our lunches.

The way back down was quick but treacherous. I realized part way down how lucky I was to be there. If I hadn't lost all this weight (58 pounds at this point) and gotten back into shape I could never have made it. I would have had to let Emma go by herself. I'm so glad I could do this with her, that I didn't have to tell her as I have so many times,
"Sorry, Em, you got the "old mom".
That made me a lot happier about the whole hike!

2 comments:

Emme said...

that's so awesome! i'm so proud of you for being able to do this when just last summer you probably couldn't have! you're an inspiration to us all :)

Jen Boushka said...

mom, i most of all know how much this means to you. i am so proud that you have finally accomplished your goal. "no food tastes as good as thin feels", right? your reward is all the LIFE you get to live now... hiking, swimming, biking, running. all things you weren't experiencing before. i am so happy for your new life. live it with new eyes. i love you very much, jen