Sunday, September 18, 2011

Tofu anyone?

So, Chelsea has decided she is a vegetarian.  She watched a video on You Tube called "Slaughter" or something, and decided she couldn't in good conscience eat meat any longer.  She tried to get us to watch it too, but I was too squeamish and Bill said it would ruin his enjoyment when he ate a burger, to be thinking, "Poor Cow!" 
Anyway, you have to realize that there are only two children at home now.  This probably wouldn't have happened back when everyone was still home.  I wouldn't have felt like I had the time to endulge anyone.  My motto back then for meals was, "This is not a cafeteria. If you don't want to eat what I've made, you can make a peanut butter sandwich."
But, as I said, there are only two, so I looked up a lot of vegetarian recipes on Allrecipes.com and printed them out, put them in clear page protectors and put them in a notebook which I then labeled "Vegetarian" on the spine.  I also found a list called Twenty for Twenty, Vegetarian Edition. It's twenty items to stock up on at the grocery store that will enable you to make twenty different vegetarian meals.  I bought the things on the list and then gave the notebook to Chelsea and told her, "Ok, I've invested in this idea, now it's your turn."  She has made several meals, some we have made together, and they've all been delicious.  I still make meals with meat sometimes, but I make sure there are side dishes that she will be able to eat.  I figure we are all eating healthier this way.

4 comments:

Miriam said...

We need to get some of these recipes Mom:) The avocado tacos sounded good. Love you!

Courtney said...

Cool! Emme told me that Chelsea was vegetarian now. I have a couple favorite recipes I could share, if you'd like. With the exception of fish occasionally, I've been eating vegetarian since January and I love it! It was something I knew I wanted to do, but it was the book, "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer that gave me the push. Drew was wary at first about my not cooking meat anymore, but I think he's been pleasantly surprised at the delicious and filling meals that can be made without meat. (He still eats meat when we go out.)

Luvmy9 said...

I'd love to have some new recipes that you've already tested. And I'd be glad to share, Mir.

Courtney said...

I looove these taco/lettuce wraps:
http://mynewroots.blogspot.com/2011/07/raw-taco-fiesta.html

I've also used the same walnut base with Asian spices and sauces (instead of cumin), plus dried cherries or cranberries, chopped green onion, and water chestnuts to make Asian lettuce wraps.

For lunch, chickpea salad sandwiches are easy. Just mash up a can of rinsed chickpeas and mix in chopped celery & onion, mayo & mustard, and whatever else you would usually put in tuna or egg salad. With lettuce + tomato on any kind of bread.

I also really like this couscous salad with grapes + feta for lunch, but Drew doesn't really.

The easiest thing we eat is couscous or quinoa with sauteed vegetables (zucchini, mushroom, broccoli, whatever) mixed in. That's not really a recipe, but it takes all of 10 minutes and it's pretty good.