Friday, December 17, 2010

It's a pain in the ...back

Thursday, a week ago, I went to my cardio/core/sculpting class at EP Fitness.  I'd worked with this teacher once before and I really liked her energy and her ab exercizes.  She's twentyish, hispanic (what are the odds:), and dresses like..hip hop? I don't really know.  This picture is something like, only she wears a cap instead of a scarf and her pants have all these black strings hanging off them and there are metal studs around the waistband. Anyway, she obviously doesn't have back problems and that's where my back pain comes in.


It wasn't exactly like this...
We were in the cardio/core portion and using a ball to make figure eights in front of us as we twisted and turned our waist. I twisted right and bent slightly over as I did so.  I felt something in my back give immediately and stopped.  I tried my usual back exercizes and kept going as best I could for the rest of the session and then went to a yoga class thinking that might help stretch it out. All that day I kept doing my McKenzie back exercizes and my back felt better the next morning.

Unfortunately I had to referee at a two day swim meet 45 minutes away.  The swim meet wouldn't have helped but the hour and a half drive each day was the worst part.
Michelle did well and I got to see her on the winner's blocks each time she swam.



I've been in pain for all of this week.  Monday I am scheduled for an epidural steroid injection.  Hopefully that will take care of it.  Meanwhile, I'm a pain in the back, officially.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

oh no! :( i'm so sorry to hear that!! ugh. i hope you feel better SOON.

p.s. we can't wait to see you in a couple days!

Miriam said...

I hope the injection works:) Let us know if you need help with anything until you get feeling better.

Rondi said...

My mom used to get those for her back every once in awhile and she said they really relieved her pain. I hope it works for you, too