Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Family is great, isn't it?

I have one of my grown children home for a month.  Everyone, especially his four sisters, were thrilled that he was coming "home".  It's so fun to see how happy my children are to be together.  That first night no one wanted to go to sleep; they talked and laughed, teased each other, and even tickled and wrestled each other. 

Our precious nine year old daughter (the youngest) was so excited that he was coming that she wanted to make him a cake, and not just any cake.  She got out her little recipe book and chose to make one that included a 9X13 pan and another smaller cake for the top that was the shape of a dome.  Then she frosted it all and, lacking the correct ingredients, proceeded to make an original crumb topping out of several ingredients she found.  It was delicious. I was so amazed because she didn't need any help from me and that she would go to all that trouble for her brother.  

Tonight when the oldest daughter(17) came home from work she was a little weepy and told us of fighting with a boy at work.  When her brothers (four were at home at the time because the oldest son had cooked) heard how this boy had treated her, they all wanted to go to his house and threaten him.  I managed to keep them home and cool them down, but inside I was proud of them that they wanted to protect their sister and that they had learned one of my rules so well (boys don't fight girls) and were outraged that another boy had not followed the code.

I've been worried about how my children, lately.  Then, they go and show me that I don't need to worry at all.  I just need to keep loving them and watch them turn into wonderful adults.  I'm glad I get to be related to these amazing people and that they seem to love me, too.



6 comments:

Courtney said...

i'm grateful drew can be surrounded by family for a while this summer! i know he's so happy to be home (haha, i think drew & i both still call el paso "home")!

i love & miss you all!

Luvmy9 said...

We can't wait for you to join us, Courtney! We'll have lots of fun in Cloudroft and it will be so great with everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, together. We'll even have Emme and Marion (our foreign exchange student) with us for at least part of the time. I can't wait!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Aaaahh, that was such a sweet post. I can just see M. making all kinds of interesting comments about that boy. Poor H. Is she feeling better now? Oh, ahd has M. gotten over the fact that he walked in on me "reading you guys a bedtime story"?

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

oooo, you're going to Cloudcroft with the family? How fun! I just remember when E was so mad at me because it rained on us during our hike. Every time I hear "It's a Wonderful World" I think of how she said, "It's a HORRIBLE world!"

Luvmy9 said...

Yes, they are both recovered from their individual "traumas". :)

Courtney said...

i'm so excited too!! and i didn't know emme was going to be there?! :) yay!! i can't wait either!!

and i was thinking, i feel bad that drew & i never ended up doing our fair share of cooking on the winter trip... we should have to do double duty this time ;)