Sunday, July 12, 2009

What did it all mean and where did it go? My trip to Europe



I can't actually say it was my life-long dream to go to Europe. I never even thought it was a possibility. It was too big a dream and I think consequently I still have a hard time realizing that I was really there. At times I would stop and say to myself, "You're at the Eiffel Tower!" or "This is actually the leaning Tower of Pisa, not a picture!" I even took a picture of myself standing on the stones of the Colliseum. (see above).


It was really all too much. I couldn't take it in. It was that feeling, I think, that made me concentrate on more mundane things, like toilets. You can't get any more "real" than that. I have pictures of "Toilets across Europe". They are different, more scarce in public, and often, cleaner, with attendants that need tipped. That's funny. One didn't tip in Europe except in toilets.


One of my favorite memories was one that was difficult at the time. I was lost, by myself, in Paris. I had to go back to the hotel by myself to retrieve my moneybelt which held not only money, but credit cards and passports. In other words, everything I needed and could least afford to lose. Thus, my solo trip through the metro including changes (to different lines). My problem was that I hadn't paid quite enough attention on the way to the Eiffel Tower as I was simply a follower of the guide and our group. On the way back I saw the name of the street on which our hotel was located and got off, only to find when I emerged from underground that nothing looked familiar. This was because, I later discovered, the street was correct, but it was a long street and I had hopped off too soon. I tried to re-enter the metro, but (remember that part about my money belt being at the hotel) was unable to buy another ticket and mine had run out.


So, my options were to walk, but which way? I tried unsuccessfully to go this way and that but still nothing looked familiar. I was getting a little panicked, but remembered to say a prayer. I asked Heavenly Father to send me someone who could speak English and be able to help me. A few minutes later as I fruitlessly studied the map above the Metro, a woman neared me and I asked if she spoke English. She answered positively and I asked if she could help me. She was so gracious. She was a Librarian in town for a convention and was on her way to a local library to spend the day observing. She had some time before her appointment and apent it all helping me to find my way. She even took me to the llibrary and used the internet to find the exact address of the hotel. Finally, she got me going in the right way and I walked the rest of the way to the hotel.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

wow, what an experience! your trip sounded just amazing. i hope you'll post more pictures and stories? {i'm so jealous! :)}

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

A librarian convention? Wow, that has got to be fun! Well, at least she was super nice and you found your way home! Call me tomorrow so I can tell you about how I told John! Love you!
Oh, and I went to Cafe Central and never saw you guys there! Did you go later? I just thought it would be fun to say hi! We had a great time and the food was wonderful, as always.