Monday, July 13, 2009

What is normal?

Some of our daughters think our family isn't normal.  They told us that tonight as we were trying to have a family discussion.  They could be right.  But, which family is normal?  How do we decide what constitutes normal?  I used to be sure that it was the TV show Father Knows Best's family.  I've thought of all my friends' families.  And, sorry guys, but I can't think of any of you that have a more "normal" family than ours.  I'm not denying that we're weird.  It's just that everyone else is weird, too, in some ways.  We were recently interviewed as a family to test our suitability for being a host family for a foreign exchange student.  We didn't think the interviewers were any less weird than we are.  And, that's why we were having the discussion.  Apparently we passed and our family will soon be hosting a young lady from France.  We're all concerned that she will have to make a lot of adjustments to living with us.  We just hope it won't be too hard for her, or us.

3 comments:

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

I'm so glad you're posting things! Even though I already heard this conversation! I would say you are a pretty normal family, except for the fact that you have nine kids. Really, the only one remotely not normal is Bill, but he's really funny, so it's okay! (Love ya, Bill!)

Courtney said...

i was telling drew one day how my co-worker thinks i'm a little weird. and he said, "you can tell him he's not the only one."
he was joking, i thought, until a little later in the conversation i said, "you don't really think i'm weird, do you?" to which he responded, "no sweetie, of course not. i know you are."

i'm just going to take it as a compliment!

ps- how exciting that a foreign exchange student is coming to live with you!!

Luvmy9 said...

And, Courtney, how could you be a part of our family if you weren't weird? :) Seriously, if you are weird, it is only that you are freakishly smart and talented and ambitious. And, how bad is that?

Did you know that Emme is coming to live with us, too? So, really, we will have TWO foreign exchange students. And, yes, it is exciting. I'm so looking forward to their arrivals.