Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Taste of Mexico in a border town

This past Saturday our church held its annual Stake Women's Conference.




I sang in the choir along with my daughter-in-law, and our oldest daughter played the flute to accompany one of the songs. It was beautiful. I'm sorry I don't have a picture of that. An amazing woman, Arizona's Young Mother of the Year, spoke to us. Then there were a couple of classes about making our home a more beautiful place both physically and spiritually. Finally, there was lunch and while we ate we were entertained by different people: a group who did Tai Chi, a mother/daughter duet on piano and violin, a young woman who sang a beautiful solo and finally, my favorite, Folklorico Dancers.

On Wikipedia it says:"folkloric dance" in Spanish, is a collective term for traditional dances that emphasize local folk culture with ballet characteristics - pointed toes, exaggerated movements, highly choreographed.

I love the beautiful, colorful dresses, the ribbons in the women's hair and the way they swirl and hold their dresses out. The music is geat, too. These were all older women, I've seen young children do it as well, but they were all very energetic. I love that we get to experience the Mexican culture even though we live in America. Here are some of the pictures I took that day:







3 comments:

Emme said...

wooooow, that is so neat and i wonder how much fabric it took to sew those dresses!! i didn't know hayley played the flute, that's awesome.

elaine'smom said...

Elaine, I would have loved being there. I didn't realize that Hayley is still playing the flute! You see how much I miss by living so far away. I've always loved attending your church functions. Maybe I'll get to come out before long. Depends on Jack's condition.

Luvmy9 said...

I know, Mom. I sure hope Jack gets better and you are able to come out. Love you.

To answer both you and Emme: Hayley doesn't really play anymore, but she practiced and still plays beautifully. She did ask me to remind her if anyone asks her to play again to tell them that she doesn't play anymore. I think it was pretty stressful.