Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Counting down the weeks til I'm through with swimming

I can't remember when I started officiating swim meets. I remember how we got involved in swimming. My dear friend, Toni Z., signed my kids up for the Coronado Country Club summer league swim team when we were out of town. She had tried to get us to sign up the year before, but I never got around to it. Spaces filled up fast and we wouldn't have made it in that year either, but for Toni. Drew was 11 and extremely shy. He almost quit after that first day, but bravely kept at it and became a very fast swimmer that the coaches counted on. Hayley was 8 and Michelle 6. Their coach was Jeff, who is still a swim coach on their club team today. We love him!
So 11 years ago last summer we entered the swimming world. Eventually we started swimming year-round with a club team (Aqua Posse) and then when the kids entered high school they swam for their school team. By then, each had progressed to a level where they were very good and a great addition to their teams. Mike even joined them when he was a senior and turned out to be a naturally talented swimmer who could have been amazing if he'd started sooner and really cared. :)
I became a swimming official about seven or eight years ago for USA swimming and because I enjoyed it and was good at it, worked up to becoming a referee, the highest official. For the last three years I've been in charge of all the officials for UIL high school swimming for the three school districts in our town. Not all of it has been enjoyable, but I'm glad I did it. I'm also glad that it's almost over. Michelle is a senior and swim season is one month from being over. District championships were held for three days this past week and I spent long hours at the pool, but, it's over now and I'll never see that pool again (although life holds no guarantees). In two weeks we'll travel to Lubbock for Regionals. Michelle qualified in all four of her events. If things go well, we should be going to state (in Austin) two weeks later. The two relays Michelle swam on made new meet record times. And, Michelle was sick all week and on antibiotics. They should do even better in Lubbock. Here are a few pictures from the meet.
The crowd at Tigua
Michelle and her team on the winners' block
Michelle's high school girls' team won District Champs.
These are the seniors holding the trophy.
My favorite picture! Between the morning and afternoon sessions on Saturday I got my own personal foot massage from one of the other referees, Jim.  What a guy! Of course later he called me a princess, but if the glass slipper fits, well...

2 comments:

Hayley Boushka said...

Wow we've been in swimming forever, i hadn't really realized it until now. I can't believe michelle might get to go to austin for state thats aweseome!! I really want to go and see it all :/ wish her the best of luck! I'm glad you were able to be a ref and be at all the swim meets mom it meant a lot that you were so interested and involved in what we did :)

Emme said...

i'm so glad you're blogging again, i missed reading your posts! you're a very talented writer. Lauren H. said so too :)