Saturday, February 20, 2010

Commando workout, or, should I join the Marines?

I have a new routine for Saturday workouts. It's very new. I only started today, but I like it so much I plan to make it a routine.

First, go to the gym and walk on the elliptical for over an hour, keeping heart rate in the lower fat burning range at least half the time. That's the hard part-I always want to work as hard as possible, but keeping your heart rate low part of the time and higher the rest of the time is interval training and will not only increase endurance, but also help you shed fat. According to the elliptical I burned over 500 calories doing that.

Next, do thirty minutes on the bag-the kickboxing bag. There's something so satisfying about punching and kicking a bag. You'll just have to try it yourself. One lady at the gym told me that she does that on her Wi, but I can't see how a virtual workout would burn as much calories or feel as good as actually hitting something.

Thirdly, take the regular Saturday bike ride. Matt and Mir came over to bike and since Matt was pulling the trailer with the two kids behind his bike we could go a lot farther and faster. He's in such good shape and so strong that the rest of us, Mir, Chelsea and myself, could hardly keep up with him. At times he got so far ahead he was just a speck in the distance. The kids love riding in the trailer. They both fell asleep before it was over. It looks so comfy in there.



While we were out, about ten miles out, I remembered that Chelsea needed to be at a volleyball game, so Mike graciously came and picked her and her bike up and took her to the game. He swears I have radar and know when he's fixing something to eat so that I can call and ask him to do something so that it will be most inconvenient. That's crazy. It's just luck!

So, Matt, Mir and I finished the 20 mile ride. I hurried home to take Emma and a friend to the movies, but luckily Bill arrived home to take them so that I could shower and eat lunch. It was a great ride and a fun ride. Mir and Chelsea were singing for us at one point and we passed some other bikers going the other way and they thought it was great, too. I can't wait to do it again next week. I figure I burned almost all the calories I will eat today. That's awesome.

Thought for the day:
"Some give up their designs when they have almost reached the goal; while others, on the contrary, obtain a victory by exerting, at the last moment, more vigorous efforts than ever before."
Herodotus

5 comments:

Emme said...

wow. i feel so lazy....

elaine'smom said...

Elaine, you continue to amaze me. Where do you find that energy?Wish i lived near you. miss you so much.Love

Laurie said...

I was feeling so good about my day because I worked out for an hour and walked the dogs and cleaned up all the dog poop in the back yard and cleaned bathrooms and vacuumed and did laundry and even cleaned out some drawers and ironed. Now I feel like a slug.

Courtney said...

wow! that's so impressive! and you can definitely see that it's paying off, at least in the pictures you've posted so far :)

Tania @ Larger Family Life said...

Wow! You did really well. And put me to shame too!