Saturday, January 16, 2010

It hasn't been the best of weeks

Sorry I haven't blogged this week, Mom, but it wasn't the greatest week of my life. I won't go into everything. One of the annoying things this week, just annoying, were all the repairs that had to be made. Here's what our water looked like on Monday.




I wish that had been the worst of it. That only took two plumbers and $650 to fix. It seems like our house had a 7 year life span, because I have now replaced both hot water heaters, the second one last week; the double oven, both dishwashers, the ice maker and the microwave. Also, I had an electrician here for two days, upgrading the electrical wiring to handle the new stove. Next week I get to have a carpenter and painters to repair the holes made by the electrician. And I also need to get a roofer to fix the roof where it has already been fixed twice. Then the painters will come back to make the inside repairs. That kind of stuff never ends. I'm looking forward to downsizing in a couple of years when we only have two girls at home.

Anyway, that's not why I've been down. Like I said, those are minor annoyances.
The good news is that I'm still doing well on my diet and exercize program. I've lost 13 pounds and added a lot of muscle. As I posted previously I feel so much better and have so much more energy. Mom, I can even get up without groaning and moaning!

Earlier today Bill and I took Emma and two of her neigborhood friends on a bike ride.



Biking is so fun. I think I enjoy it now as much as I did when I was a kid. We ride down to the river (the Rio Grande) and go alongside it on a wide sidewalk for as long as we want. Bill and I have tried to reach the end of this trail before, but have never found it even though we went ten miles down it and of course ten back-the longest bike ride I've ever been on.

Today, because we had the kids, we stopped a lot to look at things. We even went out on the river, because in the winter, there's hardly any water in the Rio Grande. New Mexico has it dammed off up-river and only lets it out in the summer for the farmers to irrigate their fields. Here's what the river looks like from river-level.



Here are some fun sights from our ride:cotton from a cotton field, a long horn bull, and horseback riders.






Riding has also helped me conquer some fears. When I first started riding I was afraid of/exhilarated by this hill. Now it's not scary at all, but it's still fun.



Then there was this little bridge with no railing across a ditch. Bill always rode right across with no problem, but I would get off and walk my bike across. This week, for the first time, I rode across. A small victory, but a fear conquered nonetheless.



Finally, an important, for the kids, stop on the way home.



So, a one hour, nine mile bike ride for Saturday. Even as I sit here icing my knees, it was worth it. I'm glad that Jen and Mir both have bike trailers and want to make Tuesdays our day for riding to the park by the river. They stop and play with the kids and I keep riding and rejoin them for the trip home. Now, if I could just find someone who wanted to go out on Thursdays I'd be set!

5 comments:

Courtney said...

i'm so sorry you have had a bad week!

i wish we lived in el paso. i would go bike riding with you on thursdays :)

Emme said...

that's too bad you didn't have a good week:(
it IS good though that you're conquering your fears and getting fit and all that!
you're very lucky to have daughter-in-laws to ride with. i like bike riding too...:)
and that's pretty crazy about all the problems with your house! it sounds like you need some better workers, like....my dad? haha

Luvmy9 said...

Thank you, girls. It will get better. It always does. And, yes I would love it if we could ride bikes, Courtney. And wouldn't it be wonderful if Emme's dad could be our carpenter and Mir's dad could be our electrician? Too bad Canada and Utah are so far away.

Sue said...

I would LOVE to join you on Thursdays!! I'll get my bike in working condition and give you a call!!!!

Luvmy9 said...

That would be great, Sue! If your bike isn't in working order, you can use one of ours. There are several to choose from.