Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Nerf Wars & Persistence

Instead of having a Family Home Evening where we set personal and family goals, we had Nerf Wars. When we can find Nerf guns at a cheap enough price, we buy them in bulk. They always, eventually, break or lose enough bullets that we have to buy more. And, we have bought a lot of Nerf guns over the years. Starting out with five boys made "wars" inevitable. We've had shave cream wars, canned whip cream wars, rubber band/spit wad wars, and lots of Nerf wars. Now that we have mostly girls at home there are fewer wars, but the ones we have are deadly.

That's a new thing I've discovered about the difference between boys and girls. The boys understood that there are rules to war: each side has a fort, or area of their own, and although you may "risk your life" to retrieve bullets from the other side, you stay and shoot from your own area. Girls don't seem to get that. Also, the girls will get right in your face to shoot. (I'm sorry I didn't take a picture of myself with a bullet stuck to my glasses' lens.) Maybe that's because, since boys will play guns with a stick if that's all they have, they are taught from an early age about gun etiquette. Anyway, last night's game was fun and everyone had a good time. Even one of our older boys joined us with his two sons. We'll have to try it again soon once Matt and his family arrive. They are moving here and will be here tomorrow. We'll give them a couple of days to rest up before the battle.

So, as I mentioned, we didn't set our New Year's goals as I had planned. I also didn't get the office clean and all bills paid, but I got a start. And, I did sign up with a weight loss program and I'm committed to losing 40 pounds instead of 30. All in all, I'm moving in the right direction. Oh, and I have been reading the scriptures more. I would like to say I've been kinder, but the other participants in the Nerf War would disagree.

Here's my quote for the day: "Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm." Winston Churchill

4 comments:

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

First of all, love the quote from Winston Churchill! I need to remember that! Also, Nerf wars sounds A LOT more fun than making New Year's resolutions! Third, I can't believe Matt is moving there! Wow! You must be so excited that you'll have all of your grandchildren in the same town! Call me tomorrow if you have time. Love you!

Luvmy9 said...

Thanks, Jen. I miss you so much! I only read this today, so missed the opportunity to call. Today was crazy. I'll blog about it tomorrow. This is so fun!

Tricia said...

Here is another Churchill quote along the same lines:

“Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.”
- Winston Churchill

I guess we just keep trying and ultimately that is what matters.

Luvmy9 said...

Hi, Tricia! Thanks for visiting my blog and thanks for the other quote. These persisistence quotes are bolstering my morale right now as I struggle to get in shape and lose weight. I miss seeing you.